- Announcement Number:
- Position Status:
- 10.14 - Hourly
- Areas of Consideration:
- ALL SOURCES
- Relocation Expenses:
- Not Authorized
- Application Email:
For 'HOW TO APPLY' click here: http://www.navymwrkingsbay.com/naf-jobs
Opening Date: 07 January 2021 Closing Date: Open Until Filled First Cut Off: 21 January 2021
Position: Fitness Assistant, NF-0189-02
Salary: $10.14 per hour
Employment Category: Flexible, 0-40 hours per week, with no benefits. Will require working evening, weekend and holiday hours. NOTE: A flexible employee is one who serves in either a continuing or temporary (time limited) position, on a scheduled or unscheduled (as needed or intermittent) basis, up to 40 hours per week. Flexible employees are not eligible to participate in the CNIC benefit programs, nor are they entitled to earn or use leave including military leave, court leave, sick or annual leave.
Location: Fitness Department aboard Naval Submarine Base, Kings Bay, GA
Area of Consideration: All Sources – Applicant does not have to have current SUBASE access. If selected for position, access will be granted upon a favorable background check.
Administrative Support (includes but not limited to):
- Provides customer service to patrons using the facility, to include: greeting customers; checking identification cards to ensure only authorized users are entering facility; issuing and receiving gear/equipment; and registering patrons for facility use, events, and/or classes.
- Answers telephone providing information in regards to facility hours of operation, upcoming special events and programs, etc.
- Completes the Daily Activity Reports, handling cash where fees apply, verifying the amount of money collected and dropping the cashier bag in the drop safe.
- Assists in planning, scheduling, and publicizing various recreational activities and maintaining related supplies in order to attract and motivate participants.
- Oversees sale of retail items associated with activities.
Instructional Support (includes but not limited to):
- Supervises assigned youth participants in indoor and outdoor activities to include intramural sporting events.
- Conducts instructional classes in the assigned recreational area.
- Performs basic fitness orientation; identifies and corrects unsafe fitness techniques.
- Demonstrates procedures common to the activities and instructs in the use of related equipment.
- Establishes/reviews the schedule of events, conducts tours, sets-up/prepares gymnasiums/facilities/playing fields prior to scheduled start time for events (e.g., lap swim, lifeguard training, exercise programs, races, pool parties).
- Ensures adherence to regulations and safety procedures.
Facility/Equipment Maintenance (includes but not limited to):
- Ensures facility is open and/or closed at the posted time.
- Monitors and checks the security of premises.
- Monitors activity within the facility, circulating among the patrons to assist with basic use of equipment/gear and to maintain good order and discipline.
- Assists in properly cleaning and maintaining equipment/facilities, maintains inventory, performs general janitorial services to ensure interior spaces are in a clean, neat, and orderly state at all times (e.g., sweeping and mopping floors; dusting and cleaning workout areas, mirrors, bathrooms, and locker areas; straightening equipment and accessories).
- Makes minor repairs to facilities and equipment when appropriate and assists with outdoor maintenance.
- Reports maintenance problems, material deficiencies, and unsafe conditions or discrepancies that cannot be repaired in-house to the supervisor.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) policies, rules, and regulations involving the work area.
- Knowledge of basic arithmetic to compute charges, disperse change accurately, and prepare reports.
- Knowledge of cash handling procedures.
- Ability to competently and independently carry out day-to-day recreation operations.
- Knowledge of basic fitness principles.
- Skill and ability to provide fitness training or orientation.
- Knowledge of safe use and operation of fitness equipment, facility operations, and basic fitness equipment maintenance/repair.
- Skill in the use of Microsoft Office Programs (e.g., Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook).
- Ability to develop and effectively deliver presentations and/or training.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: Work includes extended hours of sitting and standing. Exercise demonstrations and/or prolonged hours may be required. Must have the ability to perform moderately strenuous physical labor, lifting objects weighing up to 45 pounds unassisted and heavier weight with assistance. The recreation activities overall involve everyday risks or discomforts which require normal safety precautions typical of the recreation specialty. There will be periods of time when the employee participates in a specific activity (e.g. leading physical training, moving equipment, carrying aquatics equipment) that will require special safety precautions. Facilities may be subjected to varying conditions (e.g., variable weather conditions, variable temperatures, humidity).
Must possess or be able to obtain and maintain the following within 30 days of hire:
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and First Aid Certification
Must possess or be able to obtain and maintain the following within 90 days of hire:
- Automated External Defibrillator Certification
- Blood-borne Pathogen Certification
- Navy Basic Fitness Certification
National and state background checks are required for positions that involve working with youth without direct supervision of a parent/legal guardian.
Basis of Review: Applicants will be evaluated based on experience and qualifications described above and presented in written format.